Success as a reader underpins learning in all areas of the school curriculum. Many pupils become successful readers and writers with the support of their family, friends and teachers.
Here at Hove Junior School we aim to help pupils become better readers across the curriculum and continue to build on their reading success from the infants through a range of skills based activities.
Reading Record Book
In Autumn 2016 we introduced a whole school reading record book to ensure we can monitor reading at home more closely and encourage the children to build their independence and read more at home on their own and/or with a member of their family.
Reading Records will be signed on a two-weekly basis by the class teacher. Reading activities will still be completed in pupil’s homework books.
How does it work?
* Every child will have their own reading record book.
* Books can be taken home from school and brought back, however pupils can record their own reading books from home too.
* We expect a minimum of five reads each week.
* The child’s class teacher will monitor the record book on a two weekly cycle and initial the book.
* At the back of the book there is space for merits.
* The record also gives guidance.
Please find below a range of resources for you to use to support your child with their reading.