At Hove Junior School we are proud to teach an exciting, creative and well planned curriculum. It encompasses both the formal requirements of the National Curriculum and extra-curricular activities that we feel enrich children’s experiences and bring learning to life. Where possible we strive to make links across subjects that inspire our pupils to make connections, develop their curiosity and hone their skills as creative learners.
Through pupil voice, children at Hove Junior School have expressed that they want to leave school knowing how to:
- - continue enjoying learning
- - persevere
- - co-operate and collaborate with others
- - be curious and ask questions
- - work independently
- - be literate
- - use ICT to a high level
- - be able researchers
- - take responsibility for their learning
- - teach others how to understand and achieve
- - solve problems and tackle challenges
- - take risks with their learning
- - be resilient
- - know what their strengths are and which areas they could develop
- - present their ideas and knowledge to others
- - think critically and be able to evaluate and assess their own learning
- - be creative and think outside the box
- - set and reach targets
- - reflect
- - understand British culture and history
Choosing Whole School Topics
The choice of the whole school topic is discussed in advance, at School Council meetings. School Council Reps are guided and trained to gather and present the thoughts, ideas and opinions of the children in their classes, in order to feedback to council meetings where discussion can begin into how the school topic will unfold. Children are made aware that the topic chosen needs to facilitate and ensure breadth and balance of subjects and knowledge and that key local/national/worldwide events need to be taken into consideration (e.g. Olympics, World Cup, 100 year anniversary of World War 1, Brighton Festival etc.).
Once topics have been discussed further pupil voice is gathered by teachers, year leaders and the curriculum coordinator to ascertain what children already know and what they would like to find out. This enables us to plan the most effective learning experiences possible for each year group within the umbrella topic.
If you would like further information on our curriculum, please contact the school office.